R.B. SREEKUMAR, IPS (Retd.)
Plot No. 193, Sector-8,
Gandhinagar – 382008
Email – rbsreekumar71
Tel ® 079-23247876
Noida T. No. 0120-4284799
Letter No. RBS/PM/IPS/C - 30/2012 dated 15-08-2012
Sub - Low Morale of
Police – Remedial action.
Kindly pardon me for bothering you with this letter, on a matter concerning the morale and motivation of senior police officers in
2. After my retirement from Gujarat cadre of IPS in February 2007, I am engaged in helping victims of human right violations and 2002
Gujarat riot victim
3. The Govt. of
Gujarat State has been keeping four DGP posts vacant
since 31/8/2010, without any valid administrative or professional grounds. This
persisting avoidable malady has generated immense frustration and extensive de -
motivation among the higher police officers in the State. Two officers with
excellent performance records have retired from service since August 2010 in
the rank of ADGP and two more would be going on superannuation in December 2012
without the promotion due to them to the rank of DGP.
4. The act of keeping cadre posts vacant beyond six months by the State Govt. is in flagrant violation of Rule 10 of the Indian Police Service (Cadre) Rules 1954. The aggrieved officers and the State unit of IPS Association are reluctant to approach judicial bodies for justice, being apprehensive of malicious punitive action by the Govt. against persons approaching the court.
5. On this matter, I had submitted an appeal letter to Shri. P.Chidambaram, the Hon. Union Home Minister, vide my letter no. RBS/MHA(IPS)C-21/2012, Dated – 15th March 2012. Perhaps, no remedial action is taken so far by the Union Govt, on my letter. Copy of my letter to the Home Minister is enclosed for your kind perusal.
6. Since September 2010, an officer in the rank of Addl. DGP is heading Gujarat Police in the capacity of In- Charge DGP. Election to Gujarat State Assembly is due in December 2012. An In-Charge DGP, devoid of tenure security, rank and grade related authority, powers, status and dignity, in contract to full fledged DGP of other States, would be quite vulnerable to unethical manipulative machinations by the political and administrative hierarchy in the State govt. Such a trend would enfeeble the image, integrity and professionalism of Gujarat Police in the current pre-election period.
7. In this context, in order to arrest any further decline of the morale, motivation and self – esteem of police officers in
your kind urgent intervention in this matter is prayed for. Gujarat State
With profound regards.
(R. B. Sreekumar)
Dr. Manmohan Singh,
Honorable Prime Minister of