BIODATA OF SHRI. R. B. SREEKUMAR, IPS (RETD)
Name – R. B. Sreekumar (IPS - Gujarat cadre, 1971 - batch)
Former DGP - Gujarat
Plot No. 193,
Sector – 8, Gandhinagar – 382008
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.harmonynotes.in
Contact No – 079-23247876; (M) 09428016117, 09428016067;
Educational Qualification –
· M.A (History)- First Class - First Rank.
· M.A (Gandhian Thought) – First Class.
· M.A (English Literature) – Second Class.
· LL.M (Criminology) – Second Class.
· Certificates in languages of Gujarati, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu and Urdu.
· (a) Served as SP, DIG and ADGP/DGP in Gujarat police.
· (b) Served as Deputy Director and Joint Director in Central IB for 13yrs in IB Hq, New Delhi and Trivandrum, Kerala.
· Served as Commandant Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) in Kerala.
· Retired from Service as DGP – Gujarat on 28th February, 2007.
· (a) President’s Police Medal for Meritorious Service in 1990.
· (b) President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service in 1998.
· The V. Gangadharan Smaraka Trust Award for Best Police Officer among Keralites, “in recognition of his commitment to secularism and the Constitution of India”, on 23rd April 2008 in Kerala.
· Award of Excellence- 2008 by American Federation of Muslims of Indian Origin (AFMI) USA and Canada, given by the Honorable Union Cabinet Minister, Shri. Ram Vilas Paswan, “for extraordinary courage shown in exposing Police inaction and State complicity in the Gujarat genocide, before Judicial Inquiry Commissions, the National Human Rights Commission and other statutory bodies”, on 5th July 2008 in New York, USA.
· Mother Teresa Memorial National Award for Social Justice, “in recognition of uprightness in public administration” by Harmony Foundation in Mumbai, on 26th October 2008.
· “Karmadheeran” Award by Calicut Secular Society (Kozhikode Mathethara Samajam) in May 2009 for championing secularism.
· FIMA Excellence Award on 25th December 2009 at Kuwait, in recognition of his outstanding and exemplary services towards social justice and restoring secularism in India by Federation of Indian Muslim Associations (FIMA), Kuwait.
· Award for Communal Harmony by Muslim Education Society (MES) Malabar, Kozhikode, on 22nd June, 2012.
· Award for Human Rights Work by Qatar Indian Islahi Centre on 10th November, 2012.
· Award for Excellence in the field of Social Services by Mumbai Aman Committee on 23rd November, 2012.
R. B. Sreekumar became famous since 2002 for deposition of extensive evidence to judicial bodies, uncovering the diabolic role of communal forces in Gujarat, actively aided by the Gujarat State Govt. headed by Shri. Narendra Modi, in anti minority genocide. (He submitted nine (9) Affidavits to judicial/ investigating bodies - 663 pages). His evidence formed the substantial component of litigations by riot victims. His truthful reports resulted in the postponement of Gujarat Assembly elections in Aug 2002 by the Central Election Commission. The communal flavour of a speech by the CM Narendra Modi in Sept 2002 was reported by him to the authorities. The Modi Govt. denied him promotion to the rank of Director General of Police in February 2005, charge sheeted him on false grounds, for dismissing him from service and denied him pensionary benefits for 2 years. However, Sreekumar could secure justice from the Hon. Gujarat High Court which ordered his promotion with retrospective effect. His charge sheet was also declared illegal by the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) Ahmedabad. He retired from service on 28 February 2007. (Refer wikipedia biosketch of R. B. Sreekumar for more details).
At present he is engaged in assisting the riot affected persons and NGOs in getting proper Justice delivered to riot victims. His efforts to marshal evidence against planners and perpetrators of 2002 anti-minority carnage through the witnesses had so far resulted in conviction of 116 rioters with life imprisonment. This is an unprecedented achievement in the history of anti-minority criminal cases since 1947.
Numerous articles and papers on human rights and the threat of communalism and a book in Malayalam – “A fight for the riot victims of Gujarat” are published (See the enclosed Annexure-A).
Publications by R. B. Sreekumar, IPS (Retd), Former DGP Gujarat
- Book in Malayalam “Gujarat – Irakalkkuvendi Oru Porattam” (A fight for the riot victims of Gujarat) – 2008, D C Books, Kottayam, Kerala, 2008.
- Paper presented in International Convention of Dalits and Minorites in New York, USA (July 2008), captioned “The Gujarat Scenario – The making of communal mind – Narratives from ground.”
- Modi and Mahabharata, Article published in monthly – Communalism – Combat – Mumbai, July 2007.
- De-politicize the Police, Article published in DNA, Ahmedabad edition on 19-08-2008.
- Anti Christian Violence and Conversion, paper presented in Human Rights Conference in Khandmal District, Odisha, September 2008.
- An open Letter to Shri Advani captioned “Why should Hindus vote for the BJP?” – published in Indian Express (Trivandrum edition) and Madhyamam – a Malayalam daily.
- “Special Investigation Team (SIT) – Hope or Despair of 2002 Genocide Victims” published in DNA, Ahmedabad on 06th June, 2009.
- Article “Excessive forces – Draconian laws and professional policing” – published in Communalism Combat – July 2009.
- Article “Un-Hindu Babri Masjid demolition and Buddhists” – published in Times of India, all editions under the caption “Learn from the Gita”.
- Article “Holy Cows and the Rule of Law – Spare the intelligence agencies and spoil the Constitution” – published in DNA on 19-03-2010.
- Article “Myopic pathology prescribes erratic medicine – Learn from the Maoists and win the Anti-Naxalite war” – published in the DNA, April 2010.
- “Fake encounters by Police” – Article in Bhasha Poshini – Annual issue (Malayalam), June 2011.
- “Preaching Thesis and practicing Anti-Thesis – The state of Dalit atrocities” – paper presented in Ahmedabad Human Rights Conference, August 2011.
- Article “Law – A Warhorse for Justice or Handy Ass to Rationalize Injustice” – published in DNA, November 2011.
- Article “Gujarat Genocide – The State, Law and Subversion”, published in Malayala Manorama, all editions, dated 28th Feb, 2012, under caption “Gujarat – 10 years”.
- Article “A pure speculation on SIT closure report”, published in DNA dated 15th / 16th Feb 2012.
- “Lessons from Gujarat Carnage” – paper presented in seminar at Ahmedabad on Gujarat riots organized by Human Rights bodies.
- Article captioned “Managing body and mind towards excellence in police work” – published in Indian Police journal (April – September 2000).
- Paper presented in Women Rights Conference, Ahmedabad, March 2012, captioned “Recast traditions for gender justice”
- Open letter to CM Narendra Modi appealing to stop harassment of upright officers dated 17th September, 2011 published widely in the media.
- Article on “Assassination of Gujarat Home Minister Haren Pandya” in Malayala Manorama daily dated 06th September, 2011.
- Article “Mobocracy and the Rule of Law” - Dated 18th September, 2012.
- Rule of Law and Police morale in Gujarat State – 3rd December 2012
- An Appeal to voters of Gujarat dated 6th December 2012.
- Representation to the Governor and Letter to Prime Minister dated 18th December 2012 for departmental action against those responsible for 2002 anti-minority riots in Gujarat.
- Modi’s apology – Deceptive histrionics to defraud people dated 21st December 2012.
- Article “Recast traditions for gender justice” – Revised – dated 30th December 2012.
- Letter to Justice Nanavati and Justice Akshay Mehta Commission on “Information on Gujarat communal riots in 2002 - Extracts from the autobiography of Shri. Javid Chowdhury (IAS Retd), former Secretary, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India.”
- Article “Needed: Gandhian Therapy” – Magazine Talk published in Bangalore dated 31st Jan 2013.
- Paper on “Criminalisation of Politics” for National Seminar on “Whither India” organized by Thunchan Memorial Trust, Malappuram Dist. Keralam.
- Article on “Reality check of Gujarat Administration” in monthly magazine ‘SPOTLIGHT’ (Centre for Policy Anaysis) – March 2013 issue.
- Appeal letter to Shri. B. L. Joshi, HE The Governor of UP for getting evidence from UP Police about Godhra train fire incident witnessed by them on 27-02-2002 – dated 30-03-2013.
- Article “Sacrilegious exoneration of authors of 2002 Gujarat anti minority genocide by SIT – A study” – dated 24-06-2013.
- Article “Central Intelligence Bureau or Immunized Bureau – dated 18-06-2013.
- An appeal to the President of India captioned “An appeal to remedy elitist lobbyism against the Rule of Law”. – dated 15-07-2013.
- Article in Spotlight magazine (monthly issue), July 2013 – “Anti-minority carnage in Gujarat and Justice delivery to riot victims”.
- An appeal to CM Gujarat Narendra Modi for initiation of concrete measures for expeditious justice delivery and genuine relief and rehabilitation of 2002 communal riot victims in Gujarat state. – 06-01-2014.
- Representations to Union Defence Minister A. K. Antony and Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, and also to Hon’ Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for immediate release of reports regarding 2002 Gujarat riots submitted by Army and Central Paramilitary officers who assisted Gujarat police for maintenance of public order. – in Jan / Mar 2014.
- Paper “Emasculation of the bureaucracy” in the book “Behind Gujarat Mirage – Olive Publications Calicut” – April 2014.
- Representation to the Hon’ Prime Minister of India – Shri. Narendra Modi captioned “Request to uphold the pre-eminence and sanctity of the Constitution of India and conserve identity of Bhagavad Gita” – on 18th Dec 2014.
- Proposal to the Hon’ Chief Minister of Kerala, Shri. Oomen Chandy, for “Abolition of illegal and arbitrary appointment of priests in Govt. administered temples and creation of Kerala Temple Service (KTS)” – on 18th Dec 2014.
- Representation to Hon’ Union Cabinet Minister for Human Resources Development (HRD), Smt. Smriti Irani, captioned “Request for incorporating ideals in Tamil Classic book – Tirukkural by poet – Saint Tiruvalluvar in school curriculum” – on 9th Jan 2015.
- Representation to Hon’ Union Cabinet Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, requesting for “Implementation of Ambedkarism instead of mere tokenist and extravagant celebration of Ambedkar Jayanti” dated 09th May 2015.
- Representation to the Prime Minister on “Realisation of Ambedkarism” dated 15th Oct 2015.
- Representation to the Chief Minister of Gujarat for release of Nanavati Commission report dated 18th Nov 2015.
- Publication of the book “Gujarat behind the curtain” - published by Manas Publications 4402/5-A, Opp HDFC Bank, Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi – 110002. Ph:- 011-23260783, 23265523
- Article “Unholy and Unconstitutional: The ban of women from Sabarimala” – Jan 2016.
- May 21st 2016 – Representation to the CM, Gujarat, Anandiben Patel captioned “Homage to Dr. B. R. Ambedkar by abolition of illegal and arbitrary appointment of priests in Govt. – administered temples and creation of Gujarat Temple Service (GTS)”